About the Center
National Green Patients’ Center
Complete information about the project in pdf you can download here
Why a National patients’ center is necessary?
In society the necessity of a unified reference center for patients has grown. It would serve all groups of interested people, a place where every citizen would receive comprehensive service in different aspects concerning their health or family member’s health.
The Center will provide free of charge information and consultations for screening programs, health education and awareness, chronic conditions management, legal advices, treatment at home or abroad. Together with all these services we will provide the possibility for feedback and active engagement of the civil society.
The Center will implement different programs, related to integration of people with disabilities, health awareness of the society, improved access to free of charge prophylactic exams, early diagnostics and treatment of socially significant diseases, improved health policies in the country, also implementation of EU projects.
For making all these activities possible number of facilities will be developed in the Center, such as sports playground suitable for children and adults with special needs, conference center to host seminars and trainings, National health information center, health library adapted to the needs of blind people, national center for supporting health tourism for EU patients.
The Center will also act as a connecting unit between different stakeholders – institutions, medical community, health and social media, industry, patients and vulnerable groups of the society.
The Patients’ Center – a Green Building
A mojor part of the idea of the Patients’ Center is to be hosted in a completely green building and seek the support of the National Trust Eco Fund which can support financially the greening of the initiative through energy efficiency measures, usage of renewable energy sources and a large number of green plants. In this way the Center will create an environment that is healthy for the people who work there and for all patients who use the facilities and equipment.
The roof of the building will be specifically designed space which will combine botanic garden, conference room with lots of daylight and green plants, and leisure area. This will provide unique environment for work and events which will fight gas emissions and carbon dioxide in the same time.
Part of the energy that the building will use will be produced in a combined cycle of solar panels which will diversify the energy sources on one hand and will use green energy that does not harm the environment and does not add up to the greenhouse effect on the other hand. The rooftop will be rationally used as the green areas will be combined with the solar panels which will produce energy for the needs of the buildings.
In addition, the Center will develop a system for separated collection of waste which will prevent the pollution of the city and the environment. In this way we will educate the society and young people that separating the waste is in the interest of cleaner environment.
To make each investment in the building as effective as possible we will use all available and accessible discoveries of science as we will “catch” the kinetic energy which the elevator will produce through its motion up and down. In this regard we will broaden our partnerships as we will invite students from the National nature and mathematics school to work together with university Physics students on the project for collecting the kinetic energy. In this way we will encourage the engagement of young people with the environment issues. Also, the students will participate in the planting and landscape architecture in the entire facility. The students will give name-tags to all the botanic species with educational purposes so other visitors can read the name and origin of each plant that lives in, around and on the building.
The aim of the project overall is to improve the energy efficiency of the buidling – isolation of external and internal walls, isolation of the ceiling, changing windows and woodwork, energy saving measures (ESM) on lighting, solar instalations, etc. We envision ventilation and conditioning system with high efficiency of energy conversion and reaching Class A of energy usage.
All these measures will turn the first green building in Sofia into a show center both for students and business investors in industry, energy or any other company that is responsible to the environment and clean air. This will be possible thanks to the number of innovative solutions that give meaning to the building and are much needed for other public buildings of Sofia. Through that we want to show a good model for business investment when it comes to development of public buildings.
Main priorities of the Center
The National patients’ center in Bulgaria will be developed by European model as there are two similar centers in EU – namely in Netherlands and Sweden. NPO will adopt the good examples of the existing centers and will create a similar one in the country which will be tailored to the needs of the Bulgarian citizens.
Every citizen will be able to receive information and consultation at the Center regarding all services described above.
Other activities at the Center
- Implementing projects for health literacy and awareness of the society.
- Project for integration of people with disabilities.
- Popularizing the country as a destination for health tourism.
- Free screening programs, early diagnostics and treatment.
- Work with vulnerable groups, minorities, elderly, and people from rural areas.
- Environmental health issues and training also targeting young people.
Beneficiaries of the Center
- Bulgarian patients from the entire country.
- Foreign patients who wish to seek treatment in Bulgaria.
- Relatives and family of patients.
- Vulnerable groups.
- Children, youth and elderly who are disadvantaged.
- Health and social journalists.
- Doctors and medical facilities.
- Institutions working for improving the healthcare and health policies in the country.
What services will the Center provide?
Constructing a sports playground for people with special needs
To implement one of the priorities of the Center – improving the integration and personal development of people with disabilities, NPO plans to construct a playground tailored to the needs of the patients. The facility will be developed on the existing school yard and will be with open access for everyone who wishes to use it. The playground can host
- Paraolimpic games.
- National and international sport games for transplant and dialysis patients.
- International tournament in support of organ donation and other special events.
Constructing a conference center
One of the sports facilities will turn into a suitable venue for trainings and seminars. It will host
- Trainings for patients, youth, elderly, young parents and their relatives.
- Conferences of the patients’ movements of Bulgaria.
- Seminars for journalists.
- Health events and expos.
- Events devoted to health, youth, social and education opportunities.
The National health information center will provide free of charge consultations as one-on-one meetings, over the phone, e-mail, post or social networks on
- Patients’ rights
- Prevention of different diseases.
- Treatment opportunities.
- Information about programs of governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Screening programs for different diseases.
- Other matters related to the health system, the rights and obligations of the patients.
- Training programs for health literacy and self-management of health conditions.
- Legal advices.
- Maternal and child healthcare.
The Headquarters of National Patients’ Organization will be situated at the Center. There the organization will have the possibility to work on
- Administration and coordination of the long-term initiative “Partnership for health”.
- Development and implementation of projects, related to health policies in the country and the EU.
- Projects on the health awareness and literacy of the citizens.
- Projects on environmental health, pollution and training of young people on green living and environmental protection.
- Supporting the work of member organizations and regional representatives.